On July 11, 2016 we inaugurated the newly set-up precious home, a safe home catering for ten sexually abused girls. Representatives of the board of trustees, staff, and children attended the ceremony which was officiated by Pastor Benjamin Polidario, board member and Executive Director of our mother organization Onesimo Foundation.
We are very happy to have this new safe place that provides specialized care and therapy, and hopefully becomes a place of healing and transformation for many girls. The new center was made possible by a Filipina who lives in Switzerland. She has renovated the house for us and generously provided it for that special purpose. Donors such as Explo Switzerland and many private individuals covered the costs for setting up and running the center for the first year.
This new center responds to an increasing need for prevention and treatment in the area of sexual abuse and exploitation.
Statistics show that in the Philippines alone:
- 100,000 children have been sexually abused.
- Of them, 60,000 children have been prostituted.
- Millions are homeless and labor slaves.
- 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused prior to the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- The average age for reported abuse is 9 years old.
- Reporting of sexual abuse cases in on the rise. Nevertheless, in the first quarter of 2016, only 539 cases of sexual abuse, 233 cases of sexual exploitation, and 214 of trafficking were reported the Department of Philippines Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) (source: inquirer.net).
- An increasing number of online sexual exploitation cases is being uncovered, often happening in remote areas in the Philippines, where increased access to the internet in combination with destitute poverty creates a dangerous situation.
- 150 million girls and 73 million boys under 18 experienced forced sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual violence per year.
- More than 1 million children are trafficked annually for work and sexual exploitation.